We, the Trustees and Staff of the International Food Information Council Foundation, subscribe to these Guiding Principles:
1. Upholding Our Mission: Our mission as a 501(c)(3) public education foundation is to effectively communicate science-based information about health, food safety and nutrition for the public good.
2. Science-Based: Our work is based on the totality of the science, and we produce educational materials that reflect the state of the science.
3. Helping Consumers Understand Science: We provide fact-based reports, often citing peer-reviewed articles, on scientific findings in language that is easy for people to understand and apply to their own diets and lifestyles.
4. Dialogue: We believe that scientists, health and nutrition professionals, educators, policymakers, regulators, journalists and food, beverage and agricultural industry professionals all play important roles in the health and safety of Americans. We help these stakeholders develop solutions by bringing them together to discuss the latest scientific developments and research on consumer attitudes.
5. Guided by Public Interest Leaders: The majority of our Board of Trustees are Public Trustees who represent public institutions such as universities, governmental bodies, and public foundations.
6. Consumer Insights: We believe that consumer insights provide an important window for all those who seek to improve the health, diet, safety and physical activity of Americans. Therefore, we commission primary research on consumer attitudes and behaviors. Our research follows accepted methodologies, which we disclose in every report we publish.
7. Transparency: We are open about our partnerships and funding. All representatives of the International Food Information Council Foundation acknowledge their professional affiliation when participating in any public dialogue.
8. Accuracy: We commit to be accurate, clear and honest in our reporting on health, nutrition and food safety issues and present information in complete context of the science.
9. Credentialed Experts: We believe that the public should consider the voices of credible experts as they make decisions on food and nutrition. We help connect credentialed health professionals, academic experts and others with news organizations, but we do not pay experts for speaking with the media or approve their comments.
10. Independence: To ensure the fulfillment of our mission:
- We do not speak for, or represent, any company, industry, product or brand.
- We are nonpartisan and do not endorse any political party, elected official, or candidate for elective office. We do not provide contributions to political campaigns, hold fundraisers, or have a Political Action Committee (PAC).
- We do not lobby or advocate for legislation or regulations.
- We do not endorse products or accept advertising.