Dietary acrylamide is a naturally forming compound that is present in a wide variety of foods; however, it is not added to food as an ingredient. It occurs naturally during the normal cooking process of many starch–rich foods.
Recent media coverage of acrylamide has raised consumer questions, as studies of laboratory animals indicate that very high doses of acrylamide increase the incidence of cancer in certain laboratory studies. However, numerous studies of low levels of dietary acrylamide in humans have not drawn such conclusions. As the science around dietary acrylamide continues to evolve and regulatory agencies around the globe continue to carefully examine this issue, it is likely that consumer questions will have to be answered. Please view the resources below to help provide credible insights into this emerging issue.
Tony Flood: What is Acrylamide and Why Does it Matter?
Dr. James R. Coughlin: Acrylamide's Impact on Food Safety
Dr. Julie Jones: What Does this Mean for Consumers?
Additional Resources on Acrylamide:
- David Lineback Explains Acrylamide (video)
- A Decade of Discovery : Acrylamide in Food
- Acrylamide Q&A Video featuring Carl Winter, PhD
- Evaluating the Science of Acrylamide: A Summary
- Acrylamide: Nutritional Impact and Advice
- Reduction/Mitigation of Acrylamide Content in Foods
- Questions and Answers with David Lineback, PhD on Acrylamide in Foods
- Exploring the Facts of Dietary Acrylamide: A CPE Module for Registered Dietitians
- IFIC Foundation, Consumer Research: "Consumer Behavioral Shifts--Understanding Consumer Response to Acrylamide & Other Food/Health Issues
- World Health Organization: Frequently Asked Questions--Acrylamide in Food
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Acrylamide in Food
- Annual Review of Food Science and Technology: Acrylamide in Foods: A Review of the Science and Future Considerations
- Perspective: Communicating Food Risks in an Era of Growing Public Distrust: Three Case Studies
Food Insight Articles:
Please access the following Food Insight issues on the Newsletter Archive page:
- Dietary Acrylamide: What You Should Know; February 2011 Food Insight
- Acrylamide in Food: An Update; March 2009 Food Insight
- Acrylamide: Putting the Current Findings into Perspective; May/June 2004 Food Insight
- Cancer: Does Food Increase or Decrease the Risk?; March/April 2004 Food Insight
- Consumer Behavioral Shifts: Understanding Consumer Response to Acrylamide & Other Food/Health Issues; April 2003 Food Insight