The International Food Information Council (IFIC) Foundation has developed a Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR)-approved continuing professional education (CPE) online program, Understanding Food Allergy: A Primer for Dietitians.
This CPE online program provides an overview of food allergy, including the Big 8 food allergens (milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, soy, wheat, and shellfish), food allergy symptoms, the diagnostic process, high risk environments, prevention, and management. This CPE online program also describes how food allergies differ from other food sensitivities and food intolerances. Additionally, other food additives are discussed,including monosodium glutamate (MSG), sulfites, and food colors. Additional topics, such as The Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA), management of food allergies in schools, recommendations for introducing allergen foods into children's’ diets, and ensuring nutritional adequacy in food allergic individuals are also covered in this CPE online program.
If you are a registered dietitian or a dietetic technician, registered, simply follow the instructions to earn one CPE credit hour following your successful completion of the CPE questions.
*For more information about the Foundation, click here.
At the end of the CPE program, the learner should:
- Distinguish food allergy from other adverse food reactions.
- List “The Big Eight” food allergens.
- Understand medical diagnosis and management of food allergy (including symptoms and tests) in order to communicate effectively with the patient and attending physician.
- Understand the appropriate dietary management of food allergy, including allergen avoidance and ensuring nutritional adequacy.
- List high-risk situations for allergic individuals.
- List strategies for avoiding allergenic proteins in foods.
Suggested Learning Codes*:
3000 Nutrition Assessment and Diagnosis
5110 Allergies, Sensitivities
5050 Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)
6000 Education, Training, and Counseling
* Please note that although learning codes are listed above for this program, you may use any learning code if it is applicable.
Step 1. Please click here to register for this free CPE self-study module.
Step 2. Read the learning objectives for this CPE program as listed above.
Step 3. Access and read the Power Point presentation, “Understanding Food Allergy: A Primer for Dietitians.” You can view or download the presentation through the this link (PDF).
Step 4. Review and answer the Understanding Food Allergy CPE Questions (PDF) to ensure you have met the program objectives. When you are finished, view the answer key (PDF).
Step 5. Complete the online evaluation form for this CPE program by following this link. At the end of the evaluation, you will be redirected to the Foundation home page. Return to this CPE page.
Step 6. Download the Certificate of Completion (PDF) and put it in your files to verify completion of the CPE program and to receive one CPE credit hour.
You can access the list of references used in developing this program by clicking here. (PDF)