Starting the School Year Right… Your Way!
Staff of the Grain Foods Foundation, Dietary Guidelines Alliance Member, @GrainFoods
Can you believe September is here again? With the annual return to the fall routine, we could all use a little help getting back on track after the lazy days of summer.
Enter the It’s All About You toolkit. This collection of handy tips and tricks was created to empower you to take charge of your health. Whether you’re reading this for yourself, or on behalf of your entire family, planning a healthful diet and getting the right amount of physical activity requires a personalized approach.
- Be realistic. As painful as it can be to admit, you really can’t do it all. So, give some thought to your family’s health behaviors and prioritize small steps that make sense for you.
Stuck in a food rut? Aim for your family to try one new recipe each week rather than doing a complete overhaul of your weekly menus.
- Be active. Many of us don’t meet the recommendations for physical activity. Use tools like SuperTracker to help you log your family’s activities over the week. Remember – fun stuff, like games of tag, counts too!
- Be balanced. Eating right and getting enough physical activity is a balancing act. Make it simpler: serve smaller portions and take your child grocery shopping to teach meal planning.
- Be adventurous. Variety really is the spice of life. Take risks and try something unfamiliar... you may find a new food you never knew you loved!
- Be sensible. Balance your intake of salt, sugars, and fats with the MyPlate food groups– grains, dairy, fruits, vegetables and lean protein.
These are just a few of the many ways you can take control of your health this back-to-school season.
Some great recipes:
- Whole Grain Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Best of Summer Avocado Veggie Sandwich
- Spring Asparagus Ham and Egg Sandwich
For more information, we invite you to check out the full It’s All About You toolkit.